So What is a CBT?
Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT) before riding on the road.
You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.
What does it involve?
Compulsory basic training (CBT) has 5 elements:
- introduction and eyesight check
- practical on-site training
- practical on-site riding
- practical on-road training
- practical on-road riding
- You’ll move from one element to the next when your trainer is happy you’ve:
- Learnt the theory
- shown the practical skills to a safe basic level
When you complete compulsory basic training (CBT) to at least the minimum standard, you’ll get a certificate of completion – also called a DL196.
Your certificate of completion lets you ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc on the road with L plates for 2 years (L or D plates in Wales).